Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Be still and know that I am God". Ps. 46:10
I took this picture when I was in B.C. Canada...it was on an old piece of fence at the corner of an intersection.  It struck me at the time, maybe for it's age. I like things that seem to tell a story...I almost wish they could speak.  Maybe that is what overwhelms me and makes me a lousy garage saler...instead of a good deal, it feels like I'm pawing through what was once someone's life, almost as though I am callous.  It's not true, I only fight that feeling once in a while, usually I simply have no patience for it.  My organized world finds garage sales overwhelming and thus easily annoyed. Let it be said, I am impressed almost more with some peoples patience in the hunt than I am the good deal!  However, this post was not about shopping at garage sales. 
     I have been pondering on a thing or two and thought I'd throw it out there...for what it's worth...take it with a grain of salt.  This post box reminded me of something God has been putting on my heart as of late. 
     'Story'-what is story, what is it to really engage in someone's Story, to be fully present in being with them in the midst of either the writing, telling or retelling of someone's life?  I have had many a person tell me their story and likewise shared my own.  I have had story described to me as where my story and God's story overlap like two circles-a description of relationship with God.  I have heard it described as the 'old man' and the 'new man'. The difference between Savior and Lordship.  I have heard it described as 'testimony'.  These descriptions are good, but lately they have felt hollow.  Those all seem so cathartic, almost get rid of one and it no longer affects the other.  I think Story is messier than that, although it is true in the sense of value, our value only comes on the merits of God's grace and nothing we have done. The Story isn't cut, dry, or clean.  I think God has been speaking to me that when it comes to Story, it is sentences, chapters, plots, characters, books and series.  Sometimes I have no clue what or where the author is heading, but I tag along to see anyway.  Almost a raw anticipation and then a holding of my breath for the next turn in the plot.  Sometimes I can't even keep up with all the characters or connections. All the time looking for the message in the pages, the endless width of a binding....people are like that-from one moment to the next we change lines, phrases and chapters-do I take the time to read the plot or sometimes walk with them as they write?
    I wondered at the story behind the post box.  Who lived there and what was their life like?  The box was rough, dinged, dented, faded in color, but it was what was inside that received and delivered the messages....available space.  Story-needs available space...I think for me that is what 'be still and know that I am God' from Psalm 46:10 means....making a place of available space to live Story in those He chooses to put in my life.  Whatever the outside, whatever the plot in the paragraphs-do I make available space for Story when I am with others?  What is it to 'be still', 'to know', 'that I am God'?  There is a lot of rawness to that sentence....a lot of room is needed to explore for the answers and to be vulnerable, really vulnerable...space implies the removal of one thing to make room for something to fill it....He's working on my availability...'know that I am God'...when I think of His character, making available space-that's a lot easier to swallow.  It also makes me stop and ask Him for the where, when and with who I spend the time He's giving me...
     I have concluded one thing in this rambling and rumbling around with God on Story and people.  There is no substitute when I take the time for others...to walk, to listen and sometimes to write Story with them...the joy and life that flows into my own Story always surprises and amazes me.  There was this old farmer that lived close to where I grew up in Ireland.  He'd come over to our house and share a cup of tea and the way he used his adjectives to describe something always intrigued me...if he was impressed with something he'd say, "That is fierce lovely!"  Sounds best with an Irish accent, however, when I see the picture of the old post box and wonder about the owners story, think about people and Story, I agree with the farmer..."that is fierce lovely". 



1 comment:

  1. Nothing to do with the post... but I love the picture of the elevators.

    ReplyDelete